Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Stitch Fix

I've been hearing about Stitch Fix from various people over the past few months, so I decided to try it out for myself. With spring (hopefully!) arriving soon, I thought it might be a good time to spice up my wardrobe with the help of a professional stylist. I'm at the age where I sometimes don't know what is appropriate to wear. I'm too old for junior department clothes, but I'm too young to wear frumpy old women's clothing.

I browsed their website and  signed up online about two weeks ago. I had to wait about five days before a stylist accepted me, and then I scheduled my first "fix". (I love that you can schedule to receive clothes as often as you like, or that you can even schedule a monthly fix, although I'm not sure I would be able to afford a fix that often!)

Completing my profile was pretty simple, and it only cost me $20.00 for a styling fee, which I thought was very reasonable, especially since that $20.00 was used toward my order when I decided to keep something. Once I got my clothes, I was given three days to try them out and decide whether or not to keep them. Items being returned simply had to be placed in the bag provided and shipped via the U.S. Postal service back to the stylist. The entire process was super easy, and I loved that I got to try on the clothes in my own home with the other pieces I already have. You can't do that in a store!

I was also pleased with how quickly the items arrived after they were shipped, and I couldn't wait to try everything on. The suggestion cards that came with each item were also very helpful. It allowed me to think about what pieces I already have that I can potentially wear with the new items.

In this first fix, I got two dresses, one pencil skirt, one casual top, and one necklace. I ended up keeping the casual top (although I have requested not to get anymore of these since it looks a lot like something I could have gotten on my own without the help of a stylist), and I kept the pencil skirt (I've never had one, and it seems like it would be a good spring/summer/fall transitional piece that I could wear with different things I already own). I did go back and modify my profile a bit though after I tried everything on. Both of the dresses were super cute, but they were way too short for my liking. I would be very uncomfortable wearing either one of them out anywhere. One of the dresses actually could have been my favorite piece if were a little longer. The style was totally me, but the fit was totally off.

That's why it was so important for me to provide feedback on every item I received. I was able to rate the price, style, size, and fit of everything, and there was a comment box for every item too so I could let my stylist know exactly what I liked or disliked about every piece. One thing I let my stylist know is that I would prefer just to have clothes in my next fix. I have plenty of jewelry pieces to wear, and the jewelry that was sent was a little more expensive than what I prefer to wear on a day to day basis. (I do have a toddler and work with first graders!)

Overall, I was pleased with this fix and I would recommend the service to anyone who is interested in trying it out. If you decide not to keep anything in the fix (because you are not obligated to keep anything), you are only out of $20.00 which isn't bad at all. I plan to try it again, so why don't you join me?

                 If you are interested, you can use the link below to get started. Have fun!

                                   http://stitchfix.com/sign_up?referrer_id=3064512




1 comment: