Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Shower Cleaner That Really Works!

I like things clean, neat, and organized. However, the everyday task of keeping things that way isn't always fun. I am always on the lookout for shortcuts that actually work, and if they save me money at the same time, that's even better. A penny saved is definitely a penny earned (and money in the bank for something I actually enjoy doing).

So, I am here to share my most recent discovery, thanks to a couple of friends who tried it before me and were kind enough to tell me about it. It's so simple, you will probably be a little skeptical. I certainly was at first, but now that I have tried it, I will never go back! The best part is, you probably already have the items you need on hand!

Here's what you need: 

1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
4 Tablespoons baking soda
1/2 cup blue Dawn dish detergent
cloth
small scrub brush


Here's what you do:

Pour the vinegar in a medium-sized microwavable bowl and heat in the microwave for 90 seconds. Allow the vinegar to sit for about a minute in the sink before adding the baking soda. (It will bubble!) Then, add the dish detergent and stir if necessary. (You could also try putting the mixture in a spray bottle if you have one on hand.)

Pour or spray the mixture in the shower, using a cloth or scrub brush to make sure you really soak the tough spots. Leave it alone to do its magic for about two hours. Then, using a cloth and the scrub brush, wipe down the shower starting at the top and working your way down to the bottom, rinsing with warm water as needed. (I made sure I had some of the mixture on my cloth when I started this process.)


The results: 

I was simply amazed! I didn't have to do any heavy scrubbing. There was even a little mildew around the edge of the shower, and there was definitely a good bit of soap scum. An extra bonus is that it actually smelled good while I was cleaning. With everything else I have tried, I felt like I had to wear a mask in order to safely clean the bathroom. I challenge you to try this in your own home, and I would love to hear your feedback. Happy (and frugal) cleaning!



No comments:

Post a Comment