Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thankful Thursday

This Thursday evening, I am reflecting on the school year that is coming to an end. Tomorrow will be the last day with my first grade class of 2011-2012. It's the eighth group of first graders I have taught in my nine years of teaching at Cornelia Elementary. This morning, I sat back for a few minutes and watched them converse as they were signing each others yearbooks, and I realized that I have grown to love these children. This is what lets me know that I am where God wants me to be. Yes, there have been moments and days of frustration...like when they were on a sugar high before Christmas break and I was still expected to lead them in learning, or when we had indoor recess for days on end in February, or even a few weeks ago when we had to participate in three long days of assessments and I had to spend hours on end grading these assessments, but overall, it's been a good year. We made a lot of memories together, and I am proud of the growth they have made. It truly is amazing how much a group of six-year-olds can learn in just a few short months! Today we had an Honor's Day program and I enjoyed seeing their beaming faces as each one of them came up to receive a special award. Then later, the tears flowed freely as I read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein to them. This book has always made me cry, but when I read it at the end of the school year to a group of first graders who are about to move on, it brings on an even more special meaning. I am thankful for the opportunity that God has given me to teach this particular group of students, and I pray that I have made a positive impact on their lives. Linking up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment