Monday, May 14, 2012

Fun Project

While I'm not the most crafty person in the world, I do like to try things out from time to time, especially now that Chandler is big enough to help me out. My mom and Mother-in-law do so much for us, and I thought it would be nice if Chandler and I worked on a project to give to them as part of their Mother's Day gifts.
At first, I was going to be really brave and try out some paint, but then I chickened out. I decided I might better wait until he has better hand and eye coordination before trying out something too big. That's when I remembered this simple butterfly craft that I saw a few weeks ago. It allowed Chandler to work hands-on, but for a short period of time (which was ideal), and I had all the materials on hand!
He loved coloring the coffee filters and putting the caps on the opposite end of each marker, but his favorite thing was sprinkling the water on the coffee filters. When I first showed him how to put his hand in the bowl and sprinkle the water, he looked at me as if to say, "Are you sure you want me to put my hands in the water? It might make a mess. Mama!".
Then, after discovering that the pink cotton balls were indeed NOT marshmallows, he helped me decide where to place them on the caterpillars. After the coffee filters dried for a couple of hours, I completed the project by rolling them slightly to make wings. I then added chenille stems to each butterfly to make antennae and glued a magnet on the back.
TA DA! A perfect Mother's Day (or anytime) craft! If I can do it with a two-year-old, anyone can do it!

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable!!!
    I want to do this project with my little guy :)

    ReplyDelete